Toby Alderweireld is keen to leave Tottenham Hotspur and wants to finalize a move away from the club following the conclusion of Euro 2020, according to The Athletic.
The 32-year-old played for Belgium in the European Championships as his side was ousted by Italy in the quarterfinals. He has been a first-team regular for Spurs since joining the club in 2015 but has yet to win a trophy in North London.
Due to his experience and ability to still perform at an elite level, Alderweireld is still at a point in his career where he can potentially attract the interest of clubs that have Champions League status.
Given that Spurs do not look like they will be challenging for trophies anytime soon, he risks not winning any silverware should he remain with the Lilywhites.
The report added that Alderweireld has attracted the interest of clubs in Spain and Italy with Royal Antwerp and Ajax Amsterdam also being touted as potential destinations for the veteran.
A parting of ways between club and player will be the best move for both at this stage.
By moving away from the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, Alderweireld will get an opportunity to boost his chances of winning major silverware.
Meanwhile, Alderweireld is also now at a stage of his career where his market value will only continue to decline. By selling him at this stage, Spurs may still be able to attract a decent sum of money which can be reinvested into developing the squad.
- EFL Cup final preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Napoli submit new offer for Mangala but Nottingham Forest not impressed
- Preview: Fulham vs Arsenal – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: England vs Malta – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups