Where did it all go wrong for Pedro Caixinha at Glasgow Rangers?
He signed Mexican and Portuguese international imports for the Gers and said he was thrilled to join such a famous Scottish club.
Apart from winning 54 league titles, Rangers set another world record by moving from the fourth division to competing in the Europa League in only five years.
Let’s look at Caixinha’s list of good and bad signings:
1. On 31 May 2017, Portuguese international centre-half Bruno Alves was Caixinha’s first Rangers signing on a free transfer.
On 11 July 2018, the 36-year-old’s contract was terminated between Alves and Steven Gerrard by mutual consent. He then moved on to Parma.
2. Ex-Aberdeen captain Ryan Jack signed a free transfer, three-year deal on 1 June 2017, and admitted he was always a huge Rangers fan.
3. Dálcio was brought to Rangers on 6 June 2017, on a season-long-loan-deal from Benfica, but after only three games he was sent back.
A consensus of opinions seems to indicate that Dálcio was the worst of all his signings, and that is saying something.
4. Daniel Candeias joined Rangers on 11 June 2017, for around £700k. On 14 Mar ’18, his contract was extended until Jun ’20.
5. Alfredo Morelos signed a three-year deal on 19 June 2017 for between £800k and £1 million, and has become a top scoring, Rangers star.
6. Portuguese centre half Fábio Cardoso signed from Vitória Setúbal on 1 July 2017 to Rangers for £1.35 million, and struggled badly in SPFL.
On 30 July 2018, Cardoso was allowed to leave Rangers on a free transfer to Santa Clara, even though the Gers could have recuperated a fee.
7. Mexican international midfielder Carlos Peña signed from Chivas for £2.7 million on 1 July 2017, and sent on loan to Cruz Azul, from January until 30 June 2018.
Next day on 1 July ‘18, he joined Necaxa until 31 Dec ’18. News of his cancelled contract has now been released to the public.
8. Centre forward Eduardo Herrera signed from UNAM Pumas on 1 July 2017 for £1.53 million, and was sent to Santos Laguna on loan on 16 July 2018.
He was back at Rangers and now has gone to Necaxa for a six-month-loan.
9. Norwich midfielder Graham Dorrans joined Rangers on 6 July 2017 for £1.35 million. Sadly a long-term knee injury has hampered his starts.
10. Left back Declan John was loaned to Rangers from Cardiff on Aug ’17, and made it permanent in Dec ‘17. On 9 Aug ’18, Gerrard let John join Swansea for a modest fee.
11. Midfielder Aaron Nemane joined Rangers on 22 August 2017, on a five-month loan from Manchester City and played in only five games.
Seven months later the Portuguese manager was given the sack and around £500,000 in compensation.
It cost Rangers close to £1m for hiring and firing Caixinha, a fee which would have probably secured target Derek McInnes for the job in March.