West Ham started their Premier League campaign on a promising note with a convincing 4-2 win over Newcastle United.
After finishing sixth in the Premier League last season, the Hammers will be looking to repeat the trick while also embarking on a deep run in the Europa League.
After joining West Ham on loan from Manchester United for the second half of last season, Jesse Lingard performed wonders, scoring nine goals in 16 appearances.
Lingard’s career was in the doldrums when he joined the Hammers, with some people even suggesting that his days as a Premier League footballer were numbered.
After his career resurgence at the London Stadium, the 28-year-old earned a recall to the England squad and was unlucky not to have made the final cut for the European Championships.
Lingard remains a United player as things stand, although he is likely to be surplus to requirements at Old Trafford.
His current contract with the Red Devils expires next summer, and United may be keen to sell him before the end of the transfer window to avoid losing him for free next year.
West Ham must go all out to ensure that they sign Lingard.
He would be invaluable for the club’s Europa League campaign, helping share the workload for scoring goals with first-choice striker Michail Antonio.
Due to his injury problems, Antonio cannot realistically be expected to feature in every game this season.
- Preview: England vs Ukraine Preview – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Travel & accessibility details for four key Champions League ties
- Liverpool not for sale, insists owner John Henry
- Manchester United vs Leicester City Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Liverpool Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups