Tottenham Hotspur are reportedly on the brink of signing Atalanta’s Cristian Romero, with the talented defender having already started his medicals.
The north London club have been in talks with La Dea to secure a deal for the 23-year-old for some time now.
They are now set to land their third summer target, having already signed Atalanta goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini on loan and Spanish winger Bryan Gil permanently.
According to Gianluca Di Marzio, Romero started his medicals in Italy before his switch to Spurs.
The Italian journalist has reported that the two clubs have agreed a €50 million fee plus €5m in add-ons for the defender.
This transfer will make the Argentine the second most expensive signing in Spurs’ history after Tanguy Ndombele, who cost them a record €62m in 2019.
He enjoyed an impressive 2020-21 season for Atalanta, helping his side finish third in Serie A ahead of Juventus and Napoli.
He made 31 league appearances last term, bagging two goals and creating three assists.
Romero also made seven Champions League appearances last season, scoring a goal and assisting another.
Read Next: Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers delivers an update on Wesley Fofana’s injury status.
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: England vs Ukraine Preview – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Travel & accessibility details for four key Champions League ties
- Liverpool not for sale, insists owner John Henry
- Manchester United vs Leicester City Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups