Tottenham were eliminated from the FA Cup after being beaten 5-4 by Everton after extra time in a thrilling contest at Goodison Park on Wednesday night.
There were no excuses for the Spurs defence, who simply should not be conceding as many goals as they are should they want to challenge for major trophies.
The one thing Spurs fans can celebrate is the fact that Harry Kane’s 83rd-minute strike was his 209th competitive goal for the club. In the process, the Englishman overtook Bobby Smith and became the Lilywhites second all-time top goalscorer, behind only Jimmy Greaves who netted 266 goals for the club.
Given that Kane is still only 27, he is well on course to overtake Greaves if he remains with Tottenham.
However, it remains to be seen if he will remain loyal. If the club fails to win honours soon, he may be tempted to take up a new challenge to avoid going through his whole professional career without a piece of silverware.
There are a number of clubs that could be set to test Tottenham’s resolve, with Manchester United, Manchester City and PSG likely to be in the market for a new number nine soon.
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative
- Chelsea vs Liverpool FA Cup Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Liverpool vs Everton Preview
- FA Cup Final Preview; Chelsea Star Eyed By Real Madrid & Liverpool Target Barcelona Starlet