Tottenham Hotspur defender Toby Alderweireld has warned his team-mates that they could be set for tough treatment from manager Jose Mourinho if they complain about a lack of playing time.
Alderweireld and midfielder Tanguy Ndombele are two players whom Mourinho has dropped for extended games since he took charge of the club. However, both players have since won their way back into the first-team.
Dele Alli is one player whose future is currently the subject of speculation. The midfielder has not even been in the matchday squad for the last four games which has led to speculation that he may be surplus to requirements at the club.
The 24-year-old may have to leave the club in January. He will need to play regularly if he wants to win selection to the England squad, which will contest the rescheduled European Championship.
‘Things are going well between Mourinho and me,’ Alderweireld told HLN.
‘Everyone has a certain idea of him, that he can be very tough. But if you work for him and go through the fire, then he is really on your side.
‘But if you’re going to be annoying because you’re not playing, he’ll push you aside.’
Mourinho has a history of falling out with his own players. It is essential that players maintain a positive attitude even in setbacks if they want to succeed under the self-proclaimed “special one”.
- Aston Villa in Pole Position to Sign Wantaway Everton Star Lucas Digne
- Chelsea Boss Thomas Tuchel Delivers Verdict on Christian Pulisic’s Display Against Liverpool
- World Cup 2022 Qualification Update: Which Teams have Qualified, Which Teams Are In The Play-offs
- Tottenham Hotspur hold talks over the future of Nuno Espirito Santo
- Why Romelu Lukaku decided to join Chelsea this summer