Wolverhampton Wanderers kept their hopes of European football next season alive on Monday night when they cruised past Crystal Palace 2-0, and after the match their fans took to social media to reflect on a special moment from a top quality player.
Wolves began their campaign nearly a year ago, but there was no sign of tiredness when they took on Roy Hodgson’s men in a match they had to win to keep their chances of qualifying for the Europa League in their own hands.
Wanderers were expected to beat Palace but it was the ruthlessness in which they did it which will bode well for them ahead of their trip to Stamford Bridge on Sunday afternoon, a contest which if they win they will be assured of a return to European football.
Wolves were soon in front on Monday night when Daniel Podence gave them the lead and then Jonny sealed the win midway through the second half, to keep Nuno Espirito Santo’s men on track to achieve their primary aim.
Although the two goals were welcome, the moment of the match came in the build up to the opener when Portuguese magician Joao Moutinho played a delightfully exquisite ball for Matt Doherty that took the Palace defence out of the game.
He then crossed for Podence to score in a moment of magic that had Wolves fans purring instantly as they watched on.
There was no way back for Palace from there as Wanderers ran out easy winners after the break, with Moutinho continuing to put on a show.
Many Wolves fans took to social media after the match to wax lyrical about one of the best players ever to grace their midfield.
Here are some of their posts:
- West Ham United open talks to sign Juventus midfielder Weston McKennie
- Tottenham Hotspur devise plan to sell Dele Alli at the end of the season
- Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka could be sidelined for at least six weeks with a knee ligament injury
- Jurgen Klopp raves about Diogo Jota ahead of Liverpool’s Champions League clash vs Porto
- West Ham United could sanction Declan Rice’s sale for £90m next year