A number of Chelsea fans took to Twitter to laud the performance of Mateo Kovacic, despite witnessing their chances of progressing in the Champions League take a massive blow on Tuesday night.
The Blues were outclassed by Bayern Munich at Stamford Bridge to leave their European adventure this season facing what would be considered a premature end.
A quick-fire double from Serge Gnabry and one from Robert Lewandowski was enough to sink the Premier League outfit on the night, whilst Marcos Alonso’s red card would have only added salt to a rather open wound.
Frank Lampard lamented the performance of his players on the night, but reserved special mention for Kovacic (as per Liam Twomey) and it seems a number of the club’s faithful had the same feelings as well.
The Croatian appears to have had a great second season in England after completing a permanent switch from Real Madrid in the summer (BBC) and his recent performances have earned him some recognition.
Indeed, the 25-year-old put together another solid display for Chelsea on Tuesday night, as WhoScored’s algorithm handed him a rather brilliant match rating of 7.94 – the highest by some stretch.
Kovacic managed to string together two key passes, complete eight dribbles, complete five total tackles, make two interceptions and make one clearance in the 90 minutes he was on the field (per WhoScored).
Fans took to Twitter to rave over his latest display, with many waxing lyrical over his ability and what he brings to Lampard’s side.
Here are some of the Chelsea faithful’s reactions…
- Tottenham Hotspur fans critical of Dele Alli’s performance in the north London derby
- Arsenal fans react to Aaron Ramsdale’s performance in the north London derby
- Emile Smith Rowe reacts on Twitter after Arsenal’s stunning north London derby win
- Hugo Lloris admits Tottenham Hotspur were outclassed by Arsenal in the north London derby
- Mikel Arteta confirms worrying injury blow for Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka