Arsenal are on the verge of the making their first signing of the Mikel Arteta era, with Brazilian defender Pablo Mari set to have a medical in London this weekend, according to Sky Sports.
The Gunners are in a rebuilding phase under the Spanish manager and have an outside chance of fighting for the Premier League’s top four this season.
Arsenal’s major weakness in recent years has been their defence, with a lack of leadership in the centre-half position despite the North Londoners buying a normal of options.
The latest report suggests that the Premier League side are set to land Mari on loan, with an option to buy at the end of the season.
The 26-year-old is part of the Flamengo team that won the Copa Libertadores and the defender has previously played in Europe with Deportivo La Coruna, Girona and NAC.
Arsenal currently are short of options at centre-half with Calum Chambers set to miss the rest of the campaign with a serious injury.
The Gunners are back in action on Monday night with an FA Cup fourth round clash against Bournemouth on the south coast.
Arsenal are 10th in the Premier League and are ten points adrift of the Champions League qualification berths.
- Celtic and Rangers face uphill Champions League battle
- From Lewandowski to Eriksen – 10 Best Transfers In July 2022
- Best EPL pre-season matches to watch this weekend
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative