Chelsea signed Saul Niguez on transfer deadline day.
The Blues completed a loan deal for the 26-year-old midfielder for a fee of £3.4 million.
They have an option to sign the Spaniard permanently for £30m next summer.
During an interview with the popular YouTuber Ibai Llanos on Twitch, Saul revealed why he chose to leave Atletico Madrid.
He said: “The only thing is that I felt stuck because I wasn’t playing in my position.
“My head did not accept my new role of playing in a new position.
“Chelsea have promised to play me in my position, and we will see [where] I will play.
“The most important reason for my decision is that I will return to certain habits that I do not do now.”
Thomas Tuchel’s system at Chelsea requires the midfielders to be agile, innovative and energetic.
N’Golo Kante provides energy in abundance, while Mateo Kovacic has a dynamic ball-carrying quality.
Jorginho excels at bringing the ball out from the back for his team.
This left Tuchel short of a different kind of midfielder – someone who can orchestrate play and make defensive tackles when Chelsea don’t have the ball.
Having been developed in the box-to-box role in his early years at Atletico, Saul could be the perfect man to complete Chelsea’s midfield.
He has the ability to make defence-splitting passes, can make crucial tackles and is a team player.
Saul’s signing may have gone under the radar, but it could easily be a season-defining transfer for the Blues.
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative
- Chelsea vs Liverpool FA Cup Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Liverpool vs Everton Preview
- FA Cup Final Preview; Chelsea Star Eyed By Real Madrid & Liverpool Target Barcelona Starlet