Championship club Watford are keen on signing Newcastle’s Matty Longstaff on loan, according to Football Insider.
The 20-year-old has made five Premier League appearances this season, but it is fair to say that he has not been highly impressive this term.
The youngster’s chances of regular first-team action between now and the end of the season appear to be slim given that he is below the likes of brother Sean, Jonjo Shelvey, Isaac Hayden and Jeff Hendrik in the pecking order at St James’ Park.
Though they managed to secure a morale-boosting league victory against Everton last time out, the Magpies could still end up involved in the relegation dogfight with another poor run of form.
Steve Bruce will be looking to bring in a player or two on loan before the deadline. Allowing Longstaff to leave on loan may free up space within the squad and also help the player’s career.
Watford are currently flying high in the Championship and will be aiming to secure a return to the Premier League.
If Longstaff is assured of regular first-team action by the Hornets, a loan move may benefit his career.
- Man City boss Pep Guardiola responds to Raheem Sterling exit hint
- Jurgen Klopp voices his concern about controversial Newcastle United takeover
- Raheem Sterling reveals his frustration with lack of game time at Manchester City
- Newcastle United have real interest in Real Betis playmaker Nabil Fekir
- Barcelona suffer break down in contract talks with Sergi Roberto