According to The Northern Echo, Sunderland are interested in signing Sam Winnall from Sheffield Wednesday in the January transfer window.
It has been reported that Sunderland wanted to sign Winnall in the closing stages of January transfer window in 2019 before they secured the services of Will Grigg from Wigan Athletic.
Much was expected of Grigg when he made the move to Sunderland, but the Northern Ireland international striker has failed to do much of note at the Stadium of Light so far.
So far this season, the 28-year-old striker has scored just one goal and provided one assist in 901 minutes of League One for the Black Cats, according to WhoScored.
Winnall has made three starts and seven substitute appearances in the Championship for Wednesday so far this season, scoring one goal in the process, according to WhoScored.
Last season, the former Barnsley striker played just 176 minutes in the Championship for the Owls, according to WhoScored.
- Man City boss Pep Guardiola responds to Raheem Sterling exit hint
- Jurgen Klopp voices his concern about controversial Newcastle United takeover
- Raheem Sterling reveals his frustration with lack of game time at Manchester City
- Newcastle United have real interest in Real Betis playmaker Nabil Fekir
- Barcelona suffer break down in contract talks with Sergi Roberto