According to The Daily Star, Newcastle United were offered Cenk Tosun on loan, but manager Steve Bruce turned down the chance to sign the Everton-owned striker, who has since joined Crystal Palace.
Tosun recently joined Palace on loan from Premier League rivals Everton until the end of the season.
The striker had been struggling for playing time at the Toffees and was out of form, while the Eagles needed a striker due to the poor displays of Christian Benteke for a number of years.
The Daily Star has claimed that Newcastle manager Bruce turned down the chance to sign Tosun on loan, with the report adding that Rafael Benitez wanted the 28-year-old Turkey international when he was in charge of the Magpies.
Tosun made two starts and three substitute appearances in the Premier League for Everton so far this season, scoring one goal in the process, according to WhoScored.
The striker has already played 22 minutes in the league for the Eagles since his move on loan to the London club, according to WhoScored.
- Reading set for points deduction
- Marcos Alonso to stop taking the knee before games
- Roy Keane urges Manchester United to sign Declan Rice from West Ham United
- Manchester United planning to put seven players on transfer list
- Pundit claims Harry Kane has been affected by transfer talk – he has no one to blame but himself