Wolfsburg striker Wout Weghorst has revealed that he came close to signing for Tottenham Hotspur last summer, as reported by De Telegraaf.
Spurs were on the lookout for a new striker after Fernando Llorente left the club prior to the start of the 2019/20 season. Due to Tottenham not being able to bring in a new striker there was extra pressure on Harry Kane and Son Heung-Min to score the goals.
The Lilywhites ended up bringing in Carlos Vinicius on loan from Benfica in the summer window. The Brazilian has shown promising signs in the Europa League where he has scored three goals in five matches. However, he has yet to be handed sufficient opportunities in the Premier League.
It now appears that Spurs were also considering Weghorst during the summer. The Wolfsburg forward has scored nine times in 13 Bundesliga appearances so far this season.
“Shortly before the transfer market closed, Tottenham Hotspur got serious. Those were hectic days.”
Weghorst’s form has been pretty good, and he may be open to eventually leaving Wolfsburg so that he can take his career to the next level.
If he maintains his form, Spurs should seriously consider making a move for him. They will need good cover for Kane, as the Englishman has historically missed long periods of the season through injury.
- Preview: England vs Ukraine Preview – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Travel & accessibility details for four key Champions League ties
- Liverpool not for sale, insists owner John Henry
- Manchester United vs Leicester City Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Liverpool Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups