Southampton are stepping up their efforts to sign Brandon Williams on loan from Manchester United in January, according to The Telegraph.
The Saints tried to sign the 20-year-old last summer, but United blocked their advances. One of the full-back’s great strengths is that he is a defensively versatile player. He attracted praise for the way that he slotted into the United first-team when Luke Shaw was injured last season.
Williams has appeared to slip down the pecking order at United following the arrival of Alex Telles, and he has only made one Premier League appearance so far this season. It may be in United’s best interests to loan him out for the second half of the campaign.
Solskjaer is believed to be more open to letting Williams go out on loan than he was in the summer, which means Southampton may stand a better chance of signing the Englishman should they reignite their interest in January.
Newcastle United are one of the other clubs interested, as they look to bolster their full-back positions. Paul Dummett remains on the sidelines for the Magpies, which means there is no competition for Jamal Lewis.
- Man City boss Pep Guardiola responds to Raheem Sterling exit hint
- Jurgen Klopp voices his concern about controversial Newcastle United takeover
- Raheem Sterling reveals his frustration with lack of game time at Manchester City
- Newcastle United have real interest in Real Betis playmaker Nabil Fekir
- Barcelona suffer break down in contract talks with Sergi Roberto