Leicester City are reportedly keen on signing Southampton centre-back Jannik Vestergaard in a £15 million deal before the end of the January transfer window, according to Sky Sports.
The Danish defender arrived at the St. Mary’s Stadium in July 2018 after making an £18 million transfer move from German club Borussia Monchengladbach.
Reported Leicester target Vestergaard was brought in to replace Virgil van Dijk, who left for Liverpool in January 2018, but the giant Southampton centre-half has struggled to nail down a position under Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl.
The Denmark international has only made only four appearances since the Saints suffered the 9-0 evisceration at Leicester’s hands in October.
However, the Foxes reportedly are interested in capturing his signature as they aim to bolster their defensive ranks for securing Champions League qualification.
However, Leicester may find it hard to snap up the struggling defender as Southampton boss Hasenhuttl is unlikely to let his man depart without a fight.
The Foxes sold Harry Maguire to Manchester United in the summer and have been fielding a centre-half partnership of Jonny Evans and CAglar Soyuncu this season.
But, with Leicester stalwart Wes Morgan starting to show his age, the Southampton enforcer could be an ideal additional centre-back for the Foxes.
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: England vs Ukraine Preview – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Travel & accessibility details for four key Champions League ties
- Liverpool not for sale, insists owner John Henry
- Manchester United vs Leicester City Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups