Glasgow Rangers are set to miss out on free agent Dion McGhee, who is set for a move to Portugal as Porto and Benfica circle, according to the Daily Mail.
After spending his early years at Manchester United, the attacking midfield teenager was unexpectedly released by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer early in June, to give the lad a better chance of finding a new home.
The left-footed Oldham-born youngster is so versatile that he can play in the No. 10 role, at left back or an attacking midfielder.
Rangers will be looking for reinforcements over the summer break and have been linked with a budget move for the highly rated McGhee.
A move to Rangers would provide the spark that the youngster would need to kickstart his career, at a club that could provide him excellent coaching and the chance of first-team football.
The Gers have looked to bolster their youth ranks in recent years and have some prodigious talent coming through at Ibrox, which McPhee could join.
However, the allure of moving to European giants Benfica or Porto may well mean that Rangers have to look for other options in the transfer market.
Rangers are desperate to stop rivals Celtic winning a record tenth top-flight title in 2020-21 and Steven Gerrard will know that he needs more quality in his squad.
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative
- Chelsea vs Liverpool FA Cup Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Liverpool vs Everton Preview
- FA Cup Final Preview; Chelsea Star Eyed By Real Madrid & Liverpool Target Barcelona Starlet