Wolverhampton Wanderers are interested in signing goalkeeper Matija Sarkic from Aston Villa, according to Football Insider.
The 22-year-old has decided that he will be leaving Villa Park, added the report.
This is hardly surprising. Since winning a place in the Villa first-team squad back in 2015, he has failed to register a single competitive league appearance for the team.
He has had underwhelming loan stints with the likes of Wigan Athletic, Stratford Town, Havant and Waterlooville and Livingston.
If Wolves do sign Sarkic, it will likely be to add to the depth of their squad and he will be viewed as nothing more than a cover option in goal. Rui Patricio has firmly established himself as the first-choice goalkeeper at Molineux.
A move to Wolves could thus not be much of an upgrade for the one time capped Montenegro international as compared to the situation that he has experienced at Villa.
He needs to think carefully about his next move. He needs to move to a club where he will be able to stand a chance of getting the number one jersey, even if it means stepping down a league or two.
If Wolves sign Sarkic, it will likely be to provide cover for Patricio and John Ruddy.
In total, Sarkic only boasts 28 professional appearances in football. This does not make for impressive reading, especially considering his age.
What is surprising though is that he does boast one international appearance and this could also make finding a new club for himself easier.
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative
- Chelsea vs Liverpool FA Cup Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Liverpool vs Everton Preview
- FA Cup Final Preview; Chelsea Star Eyed By Real Madrid & Liverpool Target Barcelona Starlet