Sunderland have made a new loan offer for out-of-favour Glasgow Rangers midfielder Greg Docherty, according to Football Insider.
The Gers man spent last season on loan at Shrewsbury Town and impressed in League One but has found regular first-team football hard to come by back at Ibrox.
Rangers have a wealth of centre midfielders at Steven Gerrard’s disposal, with the likes of Steven Davis, Glen Kamara, Scott Arfield and Ryan Jack ahead of Docherty in the pecking order.
Sunderland have a good opportunity to sign a player hungry for regular first-team football, with Gerrard recently admitting that the 23-year-old former Hamilton Accies man is available for loan.
The Black Cats are desperate to win promotion from League One back into the Championship this season and the Riverside Stadium fans will be keen for mid-season recruits to help their chances.
Sunderland are currently fifth in the standings, five points adrift of the automatic promotion places, and could use the tenacity and energy of the Rangers midfielder Docherty in their boiler room.
The deal would surely work for all parties.
Rangers would surely benefit from Docherty getting more football under his belt, with the prospect of reintegrating him into the Ibrox first-team squad for next season or selling him at a profit.
Sunderland would benefit from the Scottish midfielder’s presence on Wearside also.
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative
- Chelsea vs Liverpool FA Cup Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Liverpool vs Everton Preview
- FA Cup Final Preview; Chelsea Star Eyed By Real Madrid & Liverpool Target Barcelona Starlet