Newcastle United are interested in making an offer for Crystal Palace midfielder James McCarthy this month, according to a report by 90min.
The report added that Magpies boss Steve Bruce is a big fan of Republic of Ireland international, and has even tried to sign him in the past.
Newcastle are looking to add to their squad this month so they can achieve their target of a strong finish in the top half of the standings.
The 30-year-old’s current contract with Palace is due to expire at the end of the season, which means that the Eagles may be open to offers for him this month.
Though he has struggled with injuries in recent years, McCarthy is a proven performer at Premier League level. He has nearly 12-years of English top-flight experience, having previously played for Wigan Athletic and Everton.
The report added that Scottish giants Celtic are also keen on recruiting McCarthy.
The Hoops are struggling this season, as they trail Rangers by 22 points.
McCarthy will add much-needed experience and depth to their team. However, it remains to be seen if he wants to continue challenging himself in the Premier League before moving north of the border.
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: England vs Ukraine Preview – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Travel & accessibility details for four key Champions League ties
- Liverpool not for sale, insists owner John Henry
- Manchester United vs Leicester City Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups