Newcastle United are eyeing a move for league rivals Manchester United’s veteran defender Phil Jones in the upcoming summer transfer window, as per English tabloid the Mirror.
The Magpies are going through a decent campaign where they are placed 13th position in the league table standings with 35 points after 29 matches, eight clear of the relegation zone.
Therefore, as per the latest report, Newcastle have now turned their attention towards Jones and are looking to make a move for him in the upcoming transfer window in order to strengthen their squad for future campaigns.
The news will be a pleasing one for the England international, who has been going through a difficult time at Old Trafford.
Jones will surely be eager to leave United in the near future in order to get more first-team minutes under his belt – something Newcastle could certainly offer.
The 28-year-old has been with United since the summer of 2011 when he moved from Blackburn Rovers.
Since then, the England international has managed to represent his current club in 224 matches in all competitions where he has managed to score six goals and provided 10 assists as well.
Newcastle are short of options at centre-half and while a potential move for Jones could have some sceptics, the United man would add physicality and experience to Steve Bruce’s ranks.
- EFL Cup final preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Napoli submit new offer for Mangala but Nottingham Forest not impressed
- Preview: Fulham vs Arsenal – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: England vs Malta – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups