German football expert Christopher Michel has backed Newcastle United to sign left-back Jetro Willems from Eintracht Frankfurt, as reported by The Chronicle.
The 26-year-old is familiar with the Toon Army as he spent last season on loan with the Magpies from Frankfurt.
“If Willems finds a new club it is going to be Newcastle or his old club PSV Eindhoven,” said Michel.
“He often posts photos of him in Eindhoven so I think his next club will be Newcastle if they still want him.
“I think Willems prefers a move to Newcastle but, if not, I think Eindhoven is the next realistic station for him.”
Michel was ever-present for Newcastle in the Premier League during the first half of last season before a season-ending injury in January meant that he missed the last six months of the previous campaign.
Steve Bruce’s side opted against exercising the option to sign the 22 times capped Netherlands international because of his fitness issues.
Willems has yet to make a single competitive appearance for Frankfurt this season, but is aiming to work his way back to fitness.
The 26-year-old will become a free-agent at the end of this season, something which could appeal to the Magpies, who have a reputation for being frugal in the transfer market.
It is however essential that the Magpies monitor the player’s fitness closely to make sure that he will be a worthwhile signing if they follow up.
- Celtic and Rangers face uphill Champions League battle
- From Lewandowski to Eriksen – 10 Best Transfers In July 2022
- Best EPL pre-season matches to watch this weekend
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative