Newcastle United are interested in signing Manchester United outcast Phil Jones on loan, according to The Northern Echo.
The Red Devils are believed to be keen to offload Jones. However, no club seems to be willing to pay the fee Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side are demanding.
Jones was left out of United’s 25-man Premier League squad which seemingly indicates that the Norwegian does not see a future for him at the club.
Jones has two-and-a-half-years remaining on his current contract with United. But, his career at Old Trafford is effectively over.
Meanwhile, Newcastle have been in decent form so far this season and will be looking to add players in the January window. They have endured defensive problems with first-teamers Martin Dubravka and Jamal Lascelles spending time on the sidelines. The loss of Lascelles has deprived the team of a valuable leader in the centre of defence.
Jones may not be the most gifted player in the top-flight, but he is an adept Premier League defender with vast experience. He has been on the books at United since 2011 and is one of the few remaining survivors from the Sir Alex Ferguson era.
- Aston Villa in Pole Position to Sign Wantaway Everton Star Lucas Digne
- Chelsea Boss Thomas Tuchel Delivers Verdict on Christian Pulisic’s Display Against Liverpool
- World Cup 2022 Qualification Update: Which Teams have Qualified, Which Teams Are In The Play-offs
- Tottenham Hotspur hold talks over the future of Nuno Espirito Santo
- Why Romelu Lukaku decided to join Chelsea this summer