Manchester United scouts are keeping tabs on Sporting Lisbon left-back Nuno Mendes, according to O Jogo.
United prioritized signing a new left-back last summer in order to provide competition to Luke Shaw. They were believed to have flirted with the possibility of signing Mendes before eventually opting to sign Alex Telles from Porto for £15 million.
It is unlikely that the Red Devils will sign the 18-year-old in the near future. However, he could potentially be an apt choice if either Telles or Shaw end up leaving Old Trafford.
United are not the only side that are believed to be monitoring the teenager. He has dazzled since being introduced into the Sporting first-team this year. Real Madrid, Juventus, Inter Milan, AC Milan and Liverpool are all believed to be keeping tabs on the Portugal U-21 international.
With only 17 league appearances under his belt, it is imperative that Mendes gains more experience at the highest level before moving on.
It will be interesting to see how his career develops. Shaw has struggled with consistency since joining United in 2014, and if that trend continues, the club may need to look to find a replacement for the England international.
- Aston Villa in Pole Position to Sign Wantaway Everton Star Lucas Digne
- Chelsea Boss Thomas Tuchel Delivers Verdict on Christian Pulisic’s Display Against Liverpool
- World Cup 2022 Qualification Update: Which Teams have Qualified, Which Teams Are In The Play-offs
- Tottenham Hotspur hold talks over the future of Nuno Espirito Santo
- Why Romelu Lukaku decided to join Chelsea this summer