Manchester City legend Pablo Zabaleta is confident that his former club will be able to sign Lionel Messi at the end of the season.
It is widely believed that Messi is expected to leave Barcelona at the end of the season when his deal expires. The Argentine had tried to force through a move to City in the summer of 2020, but the Catalonian club blocked the move.
“Manchester City is the best place for Messi,” Zabaleta said as per Spanish outlet Marca.
“It’s sad to see him in his current situation. “I never thought he’d go into his last year of contract at Barcelona. “The team aren’t playing well, and it seems as though they’re not enjoying their football. We’ll see what happens with Messi at the end of the season.”
Messi has spent his entire career at Barcelona, and it is hard to imagine him ever playing for another club. However, at 33-years-old, he may be tempted to prove his worth in the Premier League before he ultimately retires.
Whilst adapting to England will be hard for Messi due to the language and cultural barriers, it is plausible to imagine him joining City.
By moving to the Etihad, he could work under Pep Guardiola once again, who he previously enjoyed a successful working relationship with between 2008-2012. During that time, Messi won three La Liga titles and two Champions League crowns.
- Preview: England vs Ukraine Preview – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Travel & accessibility details for four key Champions League ties
- Liverpool not for sale, insists owner John Henry
- Manchester United vs Leicester City Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Liverpool Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups