Liverpool are keen on securing the signature of Lille midfielder Renato Sanches. But transfer expert Fabrizio Romano claimed on the Here We Go Podcast that the move is unlikely to happen until the summer.
Liverpool’s attacking options are solid for the time being, so it is unlikely that they will sign Sanches this month. However, they are facing a crisis in defence with Virgil van Dijk, Joe Gomez and Joel Matip all unavailable due to long-term injuries.
The Reds will prioritize signing a central defender this month. However, as things stand, it looks likely that the Anfield giants will have to spend big money in the summer window to bring in a new midfielder.
Georginio Wijnaldum has just six months remaining on his current contract and is yet to sign a new deal at Anfield, meaning that he could leave for free at the end of the season.
Sanches would be a decent replacement for the Dutchman. The Portugal international initially made a name for himself during Euro 2016.
His performances were widely praised, and that saw him back a big move to Bayern Munich. However, he struggled for game time during his stay in Bavaria and was sold to Lille in 2019.
The 23-year-old has been able to rediscover his best form during his time in Ligue 1, and several elite European clubs are reportedly scouting him in the second half of the season.
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative
- Chelsea vs Liverpool FA Cup Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Liverpool vs Everton Preview
- FA Cup Final Preview; Chelsea Star Eyed By Real Madrid & Liverpool Target Barcelona Starlet