Liverpool are interested in Lille star Renato Sanches, according to Le10Sport.
The midfielder initially made a name for himself as a teenager when he was a key player in the Portugal side that claimed glory at Euro 2016. His exploits in that tournament earned him a move to Bayern Munich. However, he failed to establish himself.
After it became evident that Sanches was not adapting to life at Bayern, the Bavarians sent him on loan to then-Premier League club Swansea City in 2017. But, the spell ended up being disastrous as the Swans were also relegated to the Championship that season.
Since joining Lille in 2019, Sanches appears to have revived his career, and he has also been re-integrated into the Portuguese national team. He appears to have matured as a footballer and despite his troubles on the field in the past, is still only 23 and so still has his best years as a player ahead of him.
Liverpool are believed to be monitoring the situation of Sanches amidst uncertainty over the future of midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum at Anfield. The Netherlands international was strongly linked with a move to Barcelona last summer, and his future is still unclear.
If Sanches can continue to maintain good form, he could be an apt replacement for Wijnaldum.
- Celtic and Rangers face uphill Champions League battle
- From Lewandowski to Eriksen – 10 Best Transfers In July 2022
- Best EPL pre-season matches to watch this weekend
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative