Jesse Lingard’s agent is reportedly aiming to secure his client a loan move in the January transfer window, according to Sky Sports.
The 27-year-old is a divisive figure among fans. His performances over the last 18 months have dipped, and his days at Old Trafford now look to be numbered.
He has managed just two appearances in the Carabao Cup this season and could be looking for a move to reignite his chances with England.
Lingard is now at the peak of his career and needs to be playing on a regular basis. He could still play for at a lot of mid-table teams throughout Europe’s top five leagues.
However, United are expected to trigger a one-year contract extension in Lingard’s contract. This will ensure that they will still be able to get value on the player in the transfer market.
Some of the clubs that have been linked with Lingard include Celtic, Rangers and Leicester. A move to Scotland could help Lingard to start enjoying his football again. However, it will likely kill any hopes that he has of earning an England recall.
If he moves to Leicester, he will also be in an environment where he can potentially reinvent himself as a player, which was the case for ex-United defender Jonny Evans.
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: England vs Ukraine Preview – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Travel & accessibility details for four key Champions League ties
- Liverpool not for sale, insists owner John Henry
- Manchester United vs Leicester City Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups