Jesse Lingard’s agent is reportedly aiming to secure his client a loan move in the January transfer window, according to Sky Sports.
The 27-year-old is a divisive figure among fans. His performances over the last 18 months have dipped, and his days at Old Trafford now look to be numbered.
He has managed just two appearances in the Carabao Cup this season and could be looking for a move to reignite his chances with England.
Lingard is now at the peak of his career and needs to be playing on a regular basis. He could still play for at a lot of mid-table teams throughout Europe’s top five leagues.
However, United are expected to trigger a one-year contract extension in Lingard’s contract. This will ensure that they will still be able to get value on the player in the transfer market.
Some of the clubs that have been linked with Lingard include Celtic, Rangers and Leicester. A move to Scotland could help Lingard to start enjoying his football again. However, it will likely kill any hopes that he has of earning an England recall.
If he moves to Leicester, he will also be in an environment where he can potentially reinvent himself as a player, which was the case for ex-United defender Jonny Evans.
- Jamie Carragher delivers damning verdict on Tottenham Hotspur
- West Ham United open talks to sign Juventus midfielder Weston McKennie
- Tottenham Hotspur devise plan to sell Dele Alli at the end of the season
- Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka could be sidelined for at least six weeks with a knee ligament injury
- Jurgen Klopp raves about Diogo Jota ahead of Liverpool’s Champions League clash vs Porto