Leeds United will aim to clinch the signing of Arsenal youngster Sam Greenwood by the end of this week, according to The Athletic.
The 18-year-old Greenwood is highly-rated but it looks unlikely that he will be part of Arsenal’s first-team plans.
Leeds are set to play in the Premier League for the first time in 16-years next season. Rather than spending recklessly as some newly promoted teams have done in the past, it appears that Marcelo Bielsa will aim to build his side around young talent as they look to avoid relegation from the top-flight next season.
Greenwood scored six goals for Arsenal’s youth teams last season. If signed by Leeds, he could be placed into the club’s first-team even though he has yet to make his top-flight debut.
He may also be placed into the club’s U-23 side in order to prove his first-team credentials.
Though more of a centre-forward, Greenwood is also able to play out wide. He has drawn comparisons to Robin Van Persie due to his striking ability and was a member of the England U-17 European Championship squad in 2019.
Greenwood has previously been linked with Italian clubs Juventus and AC Milan. He could be an exciting addition to the Leeds setup.
- Jurgen Klopp voices his concern about controversial Newcastle United takeover
- Raheem Sterling reveals his frustration with lack of game time at Manchester City
- Newcastle United have real interest in Real Betis playmaker Nabil Fekir
- Barcelona suffer break down in contract talks with Sergi Roberto
- Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta speaks on Alexandre Lacazette amid January exit talk