Fulham are keen on signing Newcastle United striker Dwight Gayle, according to The Chronicle.
The 31-year-old has recently returned to the bench for the Magpies after recovering from a knee injury. His current contract at St James’ Park is due to expire at the end of the season, which has led to reports that Steve Bruce may be willing to listen to offers in this window.
Gayle has been on the books at Newcastle since 2016 and has proven to be a prolific scorer at Championship level. However, he has not managed to emulate his successes in the second-tier in the Premier League.
He managed 23 goals in 34 games in all competitions during the 2016/17 season for Newcastle in the second-tier.
Gayle then went onto excel in the Championship again during a loan spell with West Bromwich Albion in 2018/19. He scored 24 goals in 41 games for the Baggies.
Altogether, the Englishman has managed just 11 Premier League goals for Newcastle during his time with the club.
Fulham are in the relegation zone and will be looking to bolster their side this month to boost their survival chances. Should Gayle arrive at Craven Cottage, he could provide back-up for Alexandre Mitrovic, who has struggled with injury problems throughout the season.
- Napoli submit new offer for Mangala but Nottingham Forest not impressed
- Preview: Fulham vs Arsenal – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: England vs Malta – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Premier League’s 2023 Ballon d’Or nominees