Ajax Amsterdam star Donny van de Beek has reportedly rejected the advances of Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur and opted to move to Real Madrid, according to Marca.
The report added that the 22-year-old will remain with the Dutch giants until the end of the season before moving to the Santiago Bernabeu at the end of the season.
The Dutchman had an impressive 2018/19 season during which he helped his side win the Eredivisie and reach the semi-finals of the Champions League.
Van de Beek was linked with a move away from Ajax at the end of last season but ended up staying put in Holland.
The report further claimed that the midfielder will join Madrid in an €55 million deal next summer.
Tottenham were probably never serious contenders to sign Van de Beek.
Spurs’ inconsistent form this season would have also been likely to put the player off from joining the club.
He would have been a good signing for Tottenham and could have been a great replacement for Christian Eriksen who looks almost certain to depart soon.
Giovani Lo Celso now looks set to become one of Spurs’ first-choice creative midfielders once Eriksen leaves the club.
It is quite evident that Tottenham need to make some important changes to their club next summer if they want to improve and potentially challenge for major silverware next season.
They will have to spend heavily and bring in a creative midfielder who can provide a lot of competition to Lo Celso.
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative
- Chelsea vs Liverpool FA Cup Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Liverpool vs Everton Preview
- FA Cup Final Preview; Chelsea Star Eyed By Real Madrid & Liverpool Target Barcelona Starlet