Everton are keeping tabs on Gabriel as they look to target the centre-back to improve their defence in the summer, according to a report by The Mirror.
It is claimed the Toffees’ scouting team have identified the 22-year-old as a candidate to put forward to Carlo Ancelotti in the upcoming transfer window as an individual to help improve their defence.
The LOSC Lille enforcer has rumoured to have caught the attention of fellow Premier League outfits Arsenal and Leicester City in the past as well, which could leave the Merseysiders facing a battle on their hands.
Everton are currently, arguably, short of options when it comes down to cover in the centre of defence, with just Mason Holgate, Michael Keane and Yerry Mina available for selection (per TransferMarkt).
Thus, Gabriel does not appear to be a bad option for the club to pursue and help bolster Ancelotti’s backline.
The Brazilian has been in fine fettle for Lille this season as he looks to make a breakthrough into senior football, which is why there could be alleged interest from some of England’s biggest clubs.
According to data collected by FBref, the 22-year-old has managed to win a total of 27 tackles that he has made, whilst also making 25 interceptions in the 22 Ligue 1 matches he has featured in – an average of 1.22 and 1.13 respectively.
Further down The Mirror’s report, it is claimed Gabriel is expected to cost around £30million, although with the figures mentioned above, that could turn out to be a small price for Everton to pay for a player with an encouraging future ahead of him.
- Emile Smith Rowe reacts on Twitter after Arsenal’s stunning north London derby win
- Hugo Lloris admits Tottenham Hotspur were outclassed by Arsenal in the north London derby
- Mikel Arteta confirms worrying injury blow for Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka
- Premier League trio linked with possible January move for Aaron Ramsey
- West Ham United interested in signing Clermont striker Mohamed Bayo