Everton are set to hold talks with Benfica midfielder Gedson Fernandes for a January transfer, according to The Athletic.
The Portuguese star has struggled for game time this season with just seven appearances so far in the league for the 20-year-old.
The report suggests that Everton could make their move in January and are looking at an 18-month loan deal with an option to make the move permanent for £34 million for Fernandes.
Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti will be keen to bring in reinforcements after a disappointing 1-0 derby defeat to a young Liverpool side in the third round of the FA Cup.
The Toffees have seen an upturn of form in the Premier League since Marco Silva left Goodison Park and reinforcements would help the new Merseyside boss.
Reported Everton target Fernandes made his Portugal debut in 2018 but has gone off the boil since and will be looking for a new lease of life with a winter move away from Benfica.
Midfield has been an area of concern for Everton this season, with injuries to key players and the summer sale of Idrissa Gueye starting to have an impact.
The Toffees currently lie in 11th place but are only five points above the relegation zone and need to find consistency to secure a top half finish.
- Reading set for points deduction
- Marcos Alonso to stop taking the knee before games
- Roy Keane urges Manchester United to sign Declan Rice from West Ham United
- Manchester United planning to put seven players on transfer list
- Pundit claims Harry Kane has been affected by transfer talk – he has no one to blame but himself