According to The Daily Star, Newcastle United were close to persuading Olivier Giroud to join them from Chelsea, but the striker is heading to Inter Milan instead.
It has been reported that the former Arsenal striker is on his way to Italian giants Inter, but Newcastle were close to securing the services of the 33-year-old France international striker.
Newcastle are a massive club, and Giroud would have been a brilliant short-term signing for manager Steve Bruce.
However, one can understand why the France international is going to Italian giants Inter instead.
After all, under former Chelsea manager Antonio Conte, Inter are a force again in Serie A this season, and are genuine challengers for the Scudetto.
True, Giroud will have to work hard to get into the Nerazzurri starting lineup and play on a regular basis, but it is much better than playing for a team such as Newcastle who do not create too many chances for their strikers and are also in a relegation fight.
- World Cup 2022 Qualification Update: Which Teams have Qualified, Which Teams Are In The Play-offs
- Tottenham Hotspur hold talks over the future of Nuno Espirito Santo
- Why Romelu Lukaku decided to join Chelsea this summer
- Luka Shaw deems Man United ‘way too easy to play against’ after Liverpool demolition
- Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta waxes lyrical about Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s leadership skills