English Premier League outfit Aston Villa are closing in on the signing of AC Milan’s veteran goalkeeper Pepe Reina, as per The Mirror.
The Villans have been struggling with injuries in the ongoing campaign and are now without their number-one goalkeeper Tom Heaton, who has been ruled out for the rest of the campaign.
As per the latest report, Villa have identified Milan’s Reina as their number one target and have already established contact with the player over a potential transfer.
The report further stated that Villa’s hierarchy are ready to offer the 37-year-old a six-month deal initially, which could be later extended for another 12 months.
If the deal goes through, Reina will be coming back to the Premier League six years after he left Liverpool and joined Napoli in the summer of 2013.
The former Villarreal goalkeeper has been at Milan since the summer of 2018 when he moved on a free-transfer once his contract with the Naples-based club came to an end.
Since then, the reported Villa target has represented his current club in just 13 matches in all competitions, where he has conceded 16 goals and managed to keep just three clean sheets.
- Preview: England vs Ukraine Preview – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Travel & accessibility details for four key Champions League ties
- Liverpool not for sale, insists owner John Henry
- Manchester United vs Leicester City Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Liverpool Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups