Aston Villa are interested in signing Alex Teixeira, according to Spanish source Fichajes.
The 31-year-old is currently a free agent after having most recently parted ways with Chinese club Jiangsu Suning.
The former Brazil U20 international has vast experience after having previously played in Ukraine for Shakhtar Donetsk and in his homeland of Brazil for Vasco da Gama.
He will now be looking to kick-start his career in Europe, and so a move to the Premier League could be appealing.
Villa have performed relatively well in the Premier League this season. After narrowly avoiding relegation last season, Dean Smith’s side have a chance of qualifying for Europe this season.
Teixeira has experience playing in the Champions League, and his main strength is his versatility, as he is capable of operating as a number 10 or out wide.
One of the players that Villa signed on loan last summer was Chelsea’s, Ross Barkley. Whilst Barkley has provided quality when called upon, Smith must think carefully about whether it will be feasible to sign the Englishman permanently.
He does struggle with injuries and has past disciplinary issues.
Teixeira has a reputation of achieving consistency and could potentially be a better value for money.
- Preview: England vs Ukraine Preview – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Travel & accessibility details for four key Champions League ties
- Liverpool not for sale, insists owner John Henry
- Manchester United vs Leicester City Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Liverpool Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups