Steve Nicol has said on ESPN that Tottenham Hotspur central defenders Toby Alderweireld and Jan Vertonghen are past their best.
The Liverpool legend, who now works as a pundit for ESPN, believes that Belgium international centre-backs Alderweireld and Vertonghen – who are 30 and 32 respectively – are not at their best anymore.
Nicol said on ESPN: “Although Alderweireld has signed a new contract, I think he is past his best. I certainly believe that Vertonghen is past his best. His contract is running out.”
Alderweireld and Vertonghen have been superb for Tottenham over the years and have been one of the best centre-back partnerships in the Premier League.
However, the Belgian duo have not been at their best this season, and it is clear that their best is behind them.
That, though, does not mean that they are not very good players anymore. With their vast experience, they are certainly good enough for Spurs for the rest of the season at leats.
However, Spurs need to look at younger alternatives in the future, and have to start scouting defenders who can replace Alderweireld and Vertonghen in the coming years.
Tottenham will take on Southampton away from home at St. Mary’s Stadium in the Premier League on Saturday afternoon.
- Aston Villa in Pole Position to Sign Wantaway Everton Star Lucas Digne
- Chelsea Boss Thomas Tuchel Delivers Verdict on Christian Pulisic’s Display Against Liverpool
- World Cup 2022 Qualification Update: Which Teams have Qualified, Which Teams Are In The Play-offs
- Tottenham Hotspur hold talks over the future of Nuno Espirito Santo
- Why Romelu Lukaku decided to join Chelsea this summer