Sporting Lisbon midfielder Bruno Fernandes has told Record that he wanted to join Tottenham Hotspur in the summer transfer window.
A Bola claimed back in August 2019 that Premier League club Tottenham wanted to sign Fernandes from Portuguese giants Sporting.
A report in The Daily Mail in November claimed that Tottenham head coach Jose Mourinho and Manchester United are looking at landing the 25-year-old Portugal international in the January transfer window.
Sporting midfielder Fernandes has stated that he wanted to switch to Spurs in the summer transfer window.
Fernandes told Record: “In the summer I thought I could go out. I believed it was a good time to leave due to many factors. I made the best time of my career to date. After the UEFA Nations League there were already many contacts, especially with Tottenham.
“It was the team that wanted me the most and was the only one I agreed to talk with, because there were other clubs that didn’t interest me or whose project was not up to my expectations.”
Fernandes is one of the best midfielders in Europe and is a key figure in the current Sporting team.
According to WhoScored, the Portugal international has scored six goals and provided seven assists in 13 Portuguese league games, and has scored five goals and provided three assists in five Europa League appearances for Sporting so far this season.
Fernandes would be a good signing for Tottenham in the January transfer window, but it remains to be seen if Sporting are willing to sell him in the middle of the season.
- Luka Shaw deems Man United ‘way too easy to play against’ after Liverpool demolition
- Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta waxes lyrical about Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s leadership skills
- Man City boss Pep Guardiola responds to Raheem Sterling exit hint
- Jurgen Klopp voices his concern about controversial Newcastle United takeover
- Raheem Sterling reveals his frustration with lack of game time at Manchester City