Leeds United Director of Football Victor Orta has told Leeds Live that he heard that Bayern Munich were interested in Jean-Kevin Augustin in 2018.
The Whites signed Augustin on loan from RB Leipzig in the January transfer window until the end of the season.
The 22-year-old striker was on loan at AS Monaco, and the deal was cancelled before he moved to Leeds.
Leeds Director of Football Orta has said that he heard that German and European giants Bayern were interested in the youngster back in 2018.
“We need to be realistic about the name of Jean-Kevin for our club. Eight months ago it was impossible,” Orta told Leeds Live.
“At 19-years-old he scored nine goals in his first year in the Bundesliga, give five assists. In this moment I remember I heard he had chances to go to Bayern Munich (summer 2018).”
Good signing for Leeds United?
Augustin failed to do much of note during his loan spell at Monaco this season, making two starts and eight substitute appearances in Ligue 1, according to WhoScored.
However, the striker is a very talented player with a lot of potential, and he will be a good option to have on the Leeds substitutes’ bench.
With Eddie Nketiah having returned to Arsenal, Leeds needed replacement striker Augustin, who will hope to make his debut for the first team soon.
Marcelo Bielsa has stuck with Patrick Bamford as his preferred centre forward but the hard-working attacker has been guilty of missing chances at times this season.
Leeds are in the push for automatic promotion from the Championship to the Premier League, but the Elland Road outfit have lost four out of their last five games in all competitions.
- Tottenham Hotspur fans critical of Dele Alli’s performance in the north London derby
- Arsenal fans react to Aaron Ramsdale’s performance in the north London derby
- Emile Smith Rowe reacts on Twitter after Arsenal’s stunning north London derby win
- Hugo Lloris admits Tottenham Hotspur were outclassed by Arsenal in the north London derby
- Mikel Arteta confirms worrying injury blow for Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka