Nemanja Matic has signed a new three-year contract with Manchester United, according to Sky Sports.
The deal will see the Serbian remain at Old Trafford until 2023.
After struggling for form during the first-half of the season, Matic’s time at Old Trafford was believed to be over.
However, the United stalwart has managed to force his way back into the United side after injuries to Paul Pogba and Scott McTominay.
Along with Bruno Fernandes, Matic has been one of the key players in Manchester United’s rejuvenation since January.
He has proven that he can still continue to serve the Manchester club well going forward if he is well-rested.
After a series of good performances, United opted to trigger the one-year extension clause in Matic’s contract in March.
The deal is a win-win for both club and player.
Many believe that the Red Devils can potentially challenge for the league title next season if they made a few additions and tweaks to their side during the summer transfer window.
Matic has good chemistry with Fernandes, which means that he can continue to serve United well for the near future, especially as the side looks set to be built around the Portugal international going forward.
United do need to sign a new defensive midfielder in coming years though.
Whilst Matic can continue to serve the club well for a few more years, he is now at a phase of his career where he cannot play in every game.
It would make sense to sign someone younger who can be mentored by the former Chelsea player.
- Aston Villa in Pole Position to Sign Wantaway Everton Star Lucas Digne
- Chelsea Boss Thomas Tuchel Delivers Verdict on Christian Pulisic’s Display Against Liverpool
- World Cup 2022 Qualification Update: Which Teams have Qualified, Which Teams Are In The Play-offs
- Tottenham Hotspur hold talks over the future of Nuno Espirito Santo
- Why Romelu Lukaku decided to join Chelsea this summer