Glasgow Rangers manager Steven Gerrard has been urged by former Ger Billy Dodds to take Lyndon Dykes from Livingston to Ibrox, as reported by the Scottish Sun.
I have a problem with this idea. It’s Dykes constant failure to score enough goals for every team he plays for.
- Does he lead the line well? – very well.
- Is he a handful for the SPFL defenders to play against? Definitely yes.
- Should Rangers buy him? No – let him struggle at Celtic
- Is he a tall aggressive target man with a superb engine who doesn’t stop running the whole match? Yes, but doesn’t score enough.
- At Queen of the South, did he only score 13 times in 101 games? Yes
- How many has Dykes scored at Livingston? 12 goals in 33 matches.
- Does he contribute a lot more to the team than scoring goals? Yes
On 30 January 2019, Dykes secured a two-year deal with Livingston, therefore his contract will run out in January 2021.
Rangers could offer Dykes a pre-contract deal within six months of his deal to run. That could lead to a Glen Kamara / Dundee style contract.
The Light Blues’ noted Dykes was in terrific form at Livingston, as they finished fifth as the season ended prematurely, their highest ever placing.
The 24-year-old does lead the line exceptionally well and is always a nuisance to play against, with his perpetual movement and attitude.
Due to his parents coming from Dumfries, he can play for either Scotland or Australia.
He always seems to play well against Rangers and Celtic, and gives both teams a torrid time of it. A very aggressive opponent at all times.
The Livingston fans have really taken to Dykes and will be livid when he leaves, but sadly they are short of money like most Scottish sides.
Dodds told the Scottish Sun. “Rangers haven’t had what you would call a target man for some time now and they missed that at points last season.
“He is getting better all of the time and he has plenty of years ahead of him.
“Dykes has all the attributes you would need to be a top player and he would get more chances to add more goals to his game at Ibrox.
“Boys like him don’t come around too often and I would be pushing the boat out to get him this summer.
“He is the perfect buy for Rangers and the type of player that Gerrard is going to need if he is to stop Celtic.
”Rangers certainly need to rebuild this summer following another fruitless season and cover in attack is essential, with just Morelos and Jermain Defoe as the senior options up front.”
However, even with improved service if he was to move to Ibrox, would Dykes score enough goals to justify Rangers’ expenditure?
- Celtic and Rangers face uphill Champions League battle
- From Lewandowski to Eriksen – 10 Best Transfers In July 2022
- Best EPL pre-season matches to watch this weekend
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative