A resurgent Newcastle United is due to face off against Manchester City in a Premier League clash at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday.
The two teams last met in a FA Cup clash two weeks ago and City won the game 2-0.
Newcastle’s performance during that game was criticized as they appeared to play negative football and resign themselves to defeat.
This game may be different and the Magpies may play more positive football.
Steve Bruce’s Newcastle side are unbeaten in six Premier League games.
With nothing but pride to play for now, City may be prioritising the FA Cup and Champions League.
Hence, losing the game will not really be a blow to them. They may use fringe players in order to preserve their best talent for the Cup competitions.
Newcastle can also take heart from the fact that City lost their last game 1-0 against Southampton at St Mary’s.
However, Toon Army boss Steve Bruce faces an injury headache, according to Sky Sports.
This is because Miguel Almiron , Allan Saint-Maximin and Andy Carroll are all doubts for the game. Midfielders Isaac Hayden and Sean Longstaff are also recovering from hamstring problems.
With 43 points from 33 games, there is little pressure on Newcastle at this stage.
They have achieved their mandate of avoiding relegation. However, it will be a welcome bonus if they manage to finish within the top half of the standings.
Newcastle have nothing to lose from their game against Pep Guardiola’s side and a defeat will not even be a disaster.
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative
- Chelsea vs Liverpool FA Cup Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Liverpool vs Everton Preview
- FA Cup Final Preview; Chelsea Star Eyed By Real Madrid & Liverpool Target Barcelona Starlet