Everton midfielder James McCarthy says he is “happy enough” at his current club, despite January interest from Championship leaders Newcastle United.

Toffees manager Ronald Koeman insisted that the Irishman was not for sale despite the fact that he has struggled to feature consistently in the Premier League this season.

Newcastle bid £16 million for the former Hamilton Accies man in the January transfer window, according to The Daily Mail, but the battling midfielder was not allowed to leave Goodison Park.

“The manager came out and said I’m not for sale and I’m part of his plans. I’m happy enough here,” McCarthy told Sky Sports.

“Hopefully between now and the end of the season I can play as many games as I can. It has been a bit of a stop-start season for me since the manager has come in.”

Groin and hamstring injuries have hampered the 26-year-old so far this term, limiting him to just seven league starts under Koeman.

When fit McCarthy has been in and out of the team, but the Dutch coach clearly sees him as part of his plans for the club moving forward.

The former Wigan Athletic man knew at the start of the campaign that competition for places in the centre of Everton’s midfield was strong and his cause has not been helped by the emergence of starlet Tom Davies in that position over the new year.

However, McCarthy started and starred in last weekend’s stunning victory over Bournemouth, bagging his first goal and assist in the league this season as the Blues eventually ran out 6-3 winners.

Everton are currently on a seven-match unbeaten run in England’s top flight and travel to Middlesbrough on Saturday looking to continue their good form and close in on the top four.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here