Premier League new boys Newcastle United are said to be ready to launch a final bid of £10 million for Norwich City man Jacob Murphy, according to the Northern Echo.
The Magpies have had a bid of £8m for the England under-21 ace rejected by the Canaries according to the report but they have not given up the idea of signing him just yet.
It is well known that Rafael Benitez is becoming more and more frustrated at a lack of incomings at St James’ Park so Newcastle are seemingly prepared to increase their offer to £10m.
Norwich are believed to have placed a £16m price tag on the 22-year-old but that is a lot of money for a team to pay for a player who has never kicked a ball in the Premier League.
Murphy is said to want to move to Newcastle so it might well be that the improved bid is enough to prize the star away from Carrow Road.
The winger featured 40 times in all competitions for the Canaries last season, scoring nine times, and that was enough to earn him a call up into the England under-21 squad for the European Championship last month.
It was there that his talents were again noticed by Benitez, who has been looking for attacking players to strengthen his squad for the entire summer.
So far he has only been able to bring in Christian Atsu from Chelsea to boost that area of his squad but if the Spaniard can get Murphy to join then he would have a very exciting pair of young and talented widemen with pace to burn combined with the skill and trickery needed to entertain at St James’.
Benitez will hope the Norwich man is the latest of a raft of additions to his ranks as he prepares for Newcastle’s Premier League opener against Tottenham on August 13.