Tottenham Hotspur manager Jose Mourinho has claimed that Serge Aurier suffered an injury in the warm-up before his side’s 2-0 win over Arsenal on Sunday evening.
As a result of his scare, Mourinho was tempted to leave the right-back on the bench for the victory.
Mourinho was quoted by Football.London talking about the injuries. He said: “Hugo was a doubt. What happened to Partey could have happened to Toby. Harry a doubt, Reguilon. Aurier in the warm-up as well.
“We almost changed the bench to have a right-back on there. Then this morning we decided that Tanguy couldn’t play, but Gio came in and did very well.”
Aurier is enjoying his best season as Spurs. He has regained his right-back spot from summer signing Matt Doherty, and has ended speculation about his long-term future at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
Spurs are aiming to challenge for the league title this season and have started positively under Mourinho. The self-proclaimed “special one” looks to have improved the defence at the club. If Aurier can maintain his form, Spurs may be able to go all the way this season.
- From Lewandowski to Eriksen – 10 Best Transfers In July 2022
- Best EPL pre-season matches to watch this weekend
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative
- Chelsea vs Liverpool FA Cup Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups