Anthony Martial remains part of Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s plans for the new season, according to The Telegraph.
With Marcus Rashford and Edinson Cavani set to miss the start of the new season, Martial could be used heavily by Solskjaer.
The Frenchman was linked with a move away from Old Trafford after scoring just four goals last season and particularly after United completed the signing of Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund.
United will be hoping to win the league this season, and to do that they need squad depth, something that Martial will give them.
However, the 25-year-old has not lived up to expectations since he joined United from Monaco in 2015.
He was expected to help the Red Devils win major silverware but has only shown flashes of brilliance.
If Martial has been unable to achieve a high level of consistency at United in six years, it is unlikely that he will ever do so.
Martial’s lack of consistency at United is best exemplified by his failure to win selection to the France team for the 2018 World Cup and Euro 2020.
By contrast, a less gifted forward in Olivier Giroud was in both squads.
Martial’s current contract with United runs until 2024, and United should aim to sell him as soon as possible if they want a decent fee.
- Reading set for points deduction
- Marcos Alonso to stop taking the knee before games
- Roy Keane urges Manchester United to sign Declan Rice from West Ham United
- Manchester United planning to put seven players on transfer list
- Pundit claims Harry Kane has been affected by transfer talk – he has no one to blame but himself