Heart of Midlothian head coach Robbie Neilson has told EdinburghLive that he wants to keep hold of reported Celtic and Newcastle United target Aaron Hickey.
The Daily Mail reported in March of interest in Hickey from Scottish Premiership giants Celtic, while The Chronicle claimed in April that Premier League club Newcastle scouted the youngster several times this past season and want to sign him in the summer transfer window.
Hearts will play in the Scottish Championship next season, and one suspects that that there will be interest in some of their best players from other clubs.
Head coach Neilson has made it clear that he wants his best players to stay in his team, and has added that he does not want to lose the 17-year-old defender.
Neilson told EdinburghLive: “Aaron is going to be a huge asset to the football club and it’s important that no matter what division we’re in, we have to keep our best players and Aaron is definitely in that category.”
Celtic or Newcastle United move this summer?
Hickey is only 18 years of age and is relatively inexperienced, but he is a very good player with a lot of potential.
If Celtic or Newcastle make a move for the defender this summer and make a good offer, then it is hard to see Hearts not being tempted to cash in on the teenager.
The Scottish youngster himself could be tempted at the prospect of turning out for Celtic or Newcastle.
- Preview: England vs Ukraine Preview – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Travel & accessibility details for four key Champions League ties
- Liverpool not for sale, insists owner John Henry
- Manchester United vs Leicester City Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Liverpool Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups