Manchester United have seen a loan offer for Inter Milan midfielder Matias Vecino rejected by the Serie A giants, according to Sky Sports.
The Red Devils are thin on options in the centre of the park, with Scott McTominay and Paul Pogba currently on the treatment table.
This has put pressure on the likes of Nemanja Matic, Fred and Andreas Pereira in the United midfield, with the side struggling of late.
A 2-0 home defeat to Burnley on Wednesday night saw the Red Devils slip back in their efforts to finish in the top four this season, with plenty of supporters calling on the club to reinforce in the January transfer window.
United have a good relationship with Inter and have conducted plenty of recent business with them.
However, this has all been one way, with Ashley Young, Alexis Sanchez and Romelu Lukaku all swapping Old Trafford for the Giuseppe Meazza.
Reported United target Vecino is a Uruguayan international but his first-team opportunities have been relatively limited this season under Antonio Conte.
That said, the 28-year-old’s tough tackling approach and energy could reinvigorate the Red Devils boiler room and provide the team with a shot in the arm.
The report suggests that United made a loan offer for Vecino but could not agree conditions for a deal with Inter.
United are back in action this weekend with an FA Cup fourth round clash against Tranmere Rovers on Sunday.
- Tottenham Hotspur fans critical of Dele Alli’s performance in the north London derby
- Arsenal fans react to Aaron Ramsdale’s performance in the north London derby
- Emile Smith Rowe reacts on Twitter after Arsenal’s stunning north London derby win
- Hugo Lloris admits Tottenham Hotspur were outclassed by Arsenal in the north London derby
- Mikel Arteta confirms worrying injury blow for Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka