French club Nantes have completed the signing of Premier League giants Liverpool’s central midfielder Pedro Chirivella.
The former Spain U17 international is now set to leave the Anfield club on a free transfer once his contract with the current European champions comes to an end on June 30.
Liverpool announced the decision on their official website in a lengthy statement where the club wished Chirivella the best for the future.
“Liverpool FC can confirm Pedro Chirivella is set to join French side Nantes upon the expiration of his contract at the end of this month,” read the statement.
“Everybody at Liverpool FC thanks Pedro for his contribution to the club and wishes him the best of luck in his future career.”
Nantes had a difficult time in the Ligue 1’s 2019-20 campaign where they finished on the 13th position of the league table with 37 points after 28 matches.
Chirivella will permanently leave Liverpool after seven seasons following his move from Spanish La Liga outfit Valencia.
During the seven seasons at the Anfield, the 23-year-old spent a number of loan spells away from Merseyside and only managed to represent Liverpool’s senior team in just 11 matches in all competitions, where his most notable contribution was providing a solitary assist.
Competition for places in Jurgen Klopp’s first team is intense and it is not a surprise to see Chirivella opt to leave Anfield in the summer, as opportunities to play for Liverpool were set to be virtually non-existent in the future.
- Liverpool Transfers Update: Mane edging closer to Anfield exit as Klopp eyes midfield reinforcements
- Tottenham Hotspur ready to fork out £43m to land Alessandro Bastoni’s alternative
- Chelsea vs Liverpool FA Cup Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Liverpool vs Everton Preview
- FA Cup Final Preview; Chelsea Star Eyed By Real Madrid & Liverpool Target Barcelona Starlet