Atletico Madrid are interested in making a summer move for Glasgow Rangers’ top scorer Alfredo Morelos in the summer, according to the Daily Mail.
The report suggests that in a bid to solve the capital city side’s goalscoring problems, manager Diego Simeone is hoping to sign the Spanish-speaking Colombia international.
Atletico are 13 points behind the league-leading Barcelona, largely because they have only managed to score 31 goals in 27 league games.
A potential fee of £20 million for 23-year-old Morelos would save on significant finances, as he will cost less money than other high-scoring strikers in world football.
After joining Rangers in 2017, Morelos has scored 77 goals in 134 games. He signed from HJK Helsinki, where he scored 46 times in 62 matches.
They already had forwards Alvaro Morata and Diego Costa at the club, but none of them have scored often or impressed enough this season.
If Morelos does join Atletico, he will bring a reputation of indiscipline with him. Eight red cards, plus suspensions, over two seasons, is not good.
Simeone got the best out of Costa’s aggressive streak and is apparently confident of channelling Morelos’ fury into goals.
As Morelos is still only 23, and if he becomes a major success in Madrid, Atletico could sell him on for a huge future fee.
Whatever fee Rangers receive for Morelos, they must add a 10/15% sell-on-clause in the eventual deal.
- EFL Cup final preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Napoli submit new offer for Mangala but Nottingham Forest not impressed
- Preview: Fulham vs Arsenal – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: England vs Malta – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion – prediction, team news, line-ups